Re: [OM] oly 18 vs. new Zeiss 18/3.5

Subject: Re: [OM] oly 18 vs. new Zeiss 18/3.5
From: "Sawyer, Edward" <Ed.Sawyer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 09:26:33 -0400
> > Now that the Zeiss Distagon 18mm f/3.5 is available for EOS mount, I
> > am curious about two things:
> >
> > * How does the Zeiss compare to the OM Zuiko 18mm f/3.5 ?

Hard to say until someone does a comparison. The Zuiko is better than the older
Zeiss 18/4, particularly in the corners. One would hope the new Zeiss 18/3.5 is
better but who knows? The 21/2.8 is the real star of the Zeiss wide lineup.

> > * Do you think there is any chance of the prices of the 18mm dropping
> > because of this?

Probably not. Even at it's peak of $800-900, the Zuiko is still less than the
zeiss and as mentioned, better in some respects (Size, etc.).  There's always
going to be large demand for it, regardless of whatever else is out there.

That being said, with enough effort, one can find the zuiko 18 for somewhat
under the market price, from time to time. It takes some digging, but can be
done.