Re: [OM] Senseless Sensor Trivia

Subject: Re: [OM] Senseless Sensor Trivia
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 09:36:49 -0600
On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 4:00 AM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> siddiq@xxxxxxx wrote:
>> On Nov 19, 2009, at 8:59 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
>>
>>> Q4. How many different colors of Green Detectors are used int he KAF5101C
>>> sensor?
>>> A4. Two. They are identical except half of them have slightly more red
>>> sensitivity
>>>

>> They can’t be “identical” and go on to have “slightly more red sensitivity.”
>>

> Thanks for that. I hate to always be the one.

I think there is an equivocation involved.  Sameness can apply either
to the thing itself or to attributes of a thing.  By "identical" I
suspect Ken means "attributes which are the same," not that they are
the same in every respect, i.e., not the same things in themselves.

But for those of us who are mostly content when things work and don't
always have to know exactly how they work, is there a subtext of all
this?  Is the KAF5101C better or worse in terms of these
characteristics?  Is this just kind of interesting?  Why should I
care?  Should I bring this up at parties?

Joel W.