Re: [OM] Católico, was Phx 48 & 49 - Chuck

Subject: Re: [OM] Católico, was Phx 48 & 49 - Chuck
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 23:21:14 +0100
Hi Mike, Chris and all,

From: Mike Lazzari (watershedinterisland.net)

   Is "dilo" the complete word or a contraction?

Chris

Chris, I believe it is a combination of the imperative of "dar" _to give_
and the pronoun "lo" _it_

native speakers please correct me.

Ok, I'll do it :-)

Mike, you were very close, but...

This is, in fact, the combination of an imperative with the direct
object pronoun "lo" _it_, as you say. But "di" is the imperative
singular form of the verb "decir" _to say_ -- yeah, it's a rather
irregular form, I know.

Usually, when the object is nominal and/or complex, it goes separated
from the imperative (e.g. "_di_ cómo te llamas" = say (tell me) what's
your name) but they go together if it's a pronominal object:

- _dilo_ [say it!]

- ¿qué cosa? [what thing?]

- cómo te llamas [what your name is]

Cheers,

--

Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas

IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)
<http://cjss.sytes.net/>