Re: [OM] Musings from the dark side - i.e. life with 5D2

Subject: Re: [OM] Musings from the dark side - i.e. life with 5D2
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 16:57:51 -0600

> Interesting comparison, and the 5DII has 4x the sensor area.

Yes, but you need a serious sized camera to house all the electronics,
batteries, screens, AF sensor modules and anti-shake mechanisms.  Yes,
Olympus could make it smaller (see the E-410 for example), but with a big
lens you can't hold the thing. Size and mass is actually an important part
of a professional camera.

Point of comparison:  The OM-4Ti with MD2 and 35-80 F2.8 is quite the chunka
camera. It's downright heavy and is about the same size and mass as the E-3
with battery-grip and 12-60 zoom. Not that I wouldn't mind them lighter, but
the fact is, the form-factor dictates a certain size and mass regardless of
the size of the camera. This size and mass does translate into a more stable
shooting platform which raises the hitrate.

Stated another way, my Minolta A1 has a sensor 1/4 the size of the E-1's
sensor but the camera with battery grip is nearly the same size as the E-1
with battery grip.

The E-3 is definitely a heavy beast, though. This is one reason why I never
did buy it. That weight comes in the area of overbuilt construction. That
magnesium shell isn't just a thin sheet that goes "ting" when you tap it
like it does on the Canons. It's a meaty bit of mass which is as tough as it
feels. (for my E-1 to have survived the rockslide with just a scratch is a
testament to that). The magnesium shells on most cameras is actually no
tougher than the engineered plastics found on some of the lesser-grade
cameras--it just wears better.

Hmm, does the 5Dmk2 have a built-in flash like the E-3? Does the 5Dmk2 have
built-in image-stabilization?  Does the 5Dmk2 have a twist-and-shout
monitor? How about a sensor cleaner that actually works?  Would we care to
compare weather sealing?

All those things dictate a certain size and mass to accomplish. I look at
what Leica has accomplished with the M9 and I'm quite impressed.

AG