Re: [OM] Have I mentioned lately?

Subject: Re: [OM] Have I mentioned lately?
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 17:38:52 +0100
Hi Ken, Chuck and all,

From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Yes, I do use my 5D and A1 with hyperfocal settings when it makes sense
>to do so (short focal length in use).

I use hyperfocal a lot... with film cameras. But never did with the 300D,
and I'm afraid I won't with the GF1, either. Obviously, with the dedicated
lenses (focus-by-wire, the latter) there's no way. But trying the CV 12/5.6
on it (it may calm down my wide-angle-on-digital hunger for a while) it
seemed feasible -- it even has click stops @ 1m and 0.5m.

>And my 5D is in manual mode
>about 95% of the time

For the fastest point-and-shoot response, I keep the GF1 on Program all the
time... but since it insists on staying @ f/1.7 nearly ALL the time,
sometimes I go to 'A' mode, in order to arrive quicky to f/5.6 (usually set)
and get a reasonable DoF. Yes, it has 'program shift' and that would make
classic A & S modes useless... but turning the small wheel thru hundreds of
thirds-of-a-stop isn't good.

On the OM-2 and other auto cameras, they stay on Auto almost all the time --
that includes the OM-2S, I rarely use P. But they have a nice aperture ring
to move. The OM-2 has no exposure lock (no way with OTF) thus sometimes I
have to switch to manual -- or the exposure compensation instead, a few
times.

On other cameras (Contax RTS2, Bessa R3A) there's a convenient exposure lock
available, so I use it a lot. The Bessa is really cumbersome to switch to
manual. The Minolta CLE has neither exposure lock nor _metered_ manual mode
nor set shutter speed in viewfinder :-(

When I use manual mode, most of the time I'm dealing with a mechanical
camera... but then, I see myself using less and less the meter...

>and 100% of the time with flash.

So do I. The GF1 keeps the last aperture and speed values between suitable
modes (M, S, A) and mine is usually set @ f/5.6, 1/160 -- I don't like to
use a slower speed with flash. But with close ups with flash, I often have
to stop down even more, both for DoF and exposure reasons.

Chimping isn't that bad, even with film cameras I'm used to look... at the
rewind crank while winding film ;^)

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)