Re: [OM] Auto S3, reasons for getting it

Subject: Re: [OM] Auto S3, reasons for getting it
From: Nicholas Herndon <nherndon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 09:49:38 -0500
> tried to find an on-line manual for the Konica Auto S3 to find out what's
>so special about it.  But I only found one for the S2.  What's the
>difference and why so coveted?

>Chuck Norcutt

Chuck, Andrew already provided a good link, but I'll also add that, in
addition to being small and lightweight with a fast semi wide lens,
it's rare.  Probably not as rare as a black Canonet QL 17 (I'm still
kicking myself about missing out on that one), but rare enough that
there are never more than two or three for sale on ebay at a time, and
they are priced accordingly.

I got started in photography about eight years ago.  When I first
started I decided I wanted a 70's fixed lens rangefinder because
that's what my mom used when I was growing up (an old Yashica) and I
loved the way my childhood photos looked.   So I got a Canonet QL 17,
and it just snowballed from there.  I have had a couple QL 17s, a
Canonet 28, an Oly XA and XA2 (the Zuiko 35mm f2.8 lens on the XA is
still one of my favorite 35mm lenses), Oly 35RC, a couple Yashicas,
some old Canon LTM rangefinders, a Konica Auto S2, etc.  But I've
always coveted an S3 because it is small, the lens is slightly wider
(38mm) than the standard 40mm lens on most fixed lens rf, and it is
fast.

Fast forward to 2006, I was searching for an Auto S3 and stumbled
across an auction house website that was about to have an estate sale
that included a massive camera collection.  Nikons, Canons, at least
one Leica, and improbably, an Auto S3.  I registered online for a
bidder number and placed bids on a few of the items, including a $90
bid on the Auto S3.  Almost as an afterthought I also put a bid of $20
on a black Olympus OM-2n with 50/1.8 Zuiko, because I thought it
looked cool.  I ended up winning the OM-2n for $20 (what a steal!) and
quickly fell in love with that camera.

At the time I knew that I had the winning bid on the Auto S3, but the
auction house made no mention of it when they sent me the invoice.
When I contacted them about it, they told me that it had been dropped
and that they didn't want to sell me a broken camera.  ARRRGH.  So I
told them I would take it anyway, but they said that it was sold on
site.  Damn it.  So my search for an under $200 Auto S3 continued
until just a couple days ago.  That was a nice find.

I guess you could say that an Auto S3 is indirectly responsible for me
becoming a bona fide Zuikoholic.  It's also become an end unto itself,
regardless of actual picture taking capacity, though I have seen some
very good photos taken with this camera.
And I figure if I don't like it I can always sell it and buy another
35RC, since I sold mine last year to fund the purchase of an OMZ
21/3.5, and kinda wish I hadn't (awesome lens for black and white).
Hope that answers your question, Chuck :)

-Nic