[OM] Flash foul-up, what happened?

Subject: [OM] Flash foul-up, what happened?
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 21:04:35 -0400
Just checked with the manager of the lab I use.  She did not quite have
everything ready due to trouble with their Frontier, but
noted that much of  the Portra 160 roll was underexposed beyond salvage
due to a flash issue.  Whaattt???? Jolt of disappointment went through
me
as my out of town guests will not have nearly as nice prints this year.
 I have some digital back-ups but the potential best where in the OM.
Nothing fancy used either.  OM-2 in manual with V283 on a bracket with
remote cord on the usual yellow for use with F4.  I use a Lumiquest
thingie and sometimes
trigger an additional bounce flash via yabe radio remote to help in a
long room.  Manager said no sign  of exceeding synch speed , so
accidental bumping
of shutter speed not an issue and wouldn't lead to this result anyway.
I did use a Tam 35-105 and sometime the Z. 85 F2 ro Z 50 1.4.  The
aperture
ring (only on the Tamron)  would bind on the front of the bracket
sometimes if I didn't mount it far enough in front.  I can't imagine
DOF preview getting bound up
at F11 w/o noticing it.  I usually check for the adequate expose signal
on the flash once with a test flash but then the Lumiquest thingie
covers it up.

Dropped everything after the call:
Checked the flash with the sensor in the flash and not remotely, but
auto mode  seems grossly OK.  Mounted the OM-2/Tam combination on the
bracket, but could not
reproduce any issue except the binding of the aperture ring as expected
if not positioned properly.   Could the sensor send a quench signal so
prematurely that I wouldn't notice something was up?  Perhaps bumped
the aperture ring 3 stops and didn't notice even changing lenses?
Was able to snipe a very reasonable Metz MZ-3 and already had the OM
shoe but had to clean the contacts to get it to work.   I wanted simple
and reliable with little chance of foul-ups.
Excuse me while I enter sulk mode.

Dr. Ineffective Flash
Mike