Re: [OM] Value for 38mm f/3.5 macro

Subject: Re: [OM] Value for 38mm f/3.5 macro
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 12:39:34 +0200
Dean, for your specific use-case I can see the obvious superiority
of the automatic 38/2.8. However, I get the feeling you are recommending
that the 38/3.5 be discounted entirely - perhaps unfairly so?

For anybody wanting to shoot non-moving objects, the 38/3.5
is a very compelling little lens. It is much smaller and lighter than
the 2.8 version, it's basically just as sharp (both are almost
diffraction-limited at these magnifications anyway, i.e. for all
intents and purposes as "perfect" as a lens can be at these
magnifications), quite a bit cheaper, and for usage on non-OM
cameras, it's arguable that the manual lenses are better suited
(i.e.a lens designed for stop-down metering is better in this role
than a lens designed for automatic aperture, which usually has harsher
aperture click-stops, whereas a 38/3.5 smoothly glides open or shut
with minimum of disturbance to camera positions.)

If I were going to use either of these lenses on a digital camera,
for focus stacking etc. I would definitely myself prefer the smaller,
better-suited-to-manual-operation 38/3.5.

Anyway, this is just my opinion. Few people use these on OM cameras
these days, and the 38/3.5 is one phenomenal lens either way.

3.5 and 2.8 are basically equivalent in the filed in anyway, when it
comes
to exposure of depth or field.

Dawid