Re: [OM] Iowa Zuikofest Redux

Subject: Re: [OM] Iowa Zuikofest Redux
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 13:39:38 -0500
> Appears the elements were cooperating this time.

Thanks, Bob.

As Paul and Joel can attest to, all I did was stand in the shadow and
point the camera at the flag while holding the shutter-release down
till the buffer filled.  :)

However, out of the 30+ pictures I took, only two were good. That
seems to be about right--less than 10% of these shots succeed for
various reasons. I don't think you can take too many flag pictures
because invariably, the one you would otherwise like has something
wrong with it. The wind and sun angle was just right in this shot. If
the wind was any stronger, the flag wouldn't have had the big waves to
it, any weaker and the end of the flag droops down. I know because
most of the pictures I took that day did just that.

Another factor was the sheer size of the flag. This one is rather
large and the nylon got those smaller ripples going in it which added
much needed texture.

For a subject that should be relatively easy to photograph, I've never
found great success--and only one picture on film that I took at age
15 has been a "keeper" all these years. Amazing, in almost 30 years,
only one successful shot on film--and it's been published, sold,
displayed, etc., a number of times. Only two previous flag photos
taken with digital have ever been used for anything, but neither as
nice as this one.

AG