Re: [OM] IMG: Cluster + "Limp Home Mode"

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Cluster + "Limp Home Mode"
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 02:41:04 -0700
  On 7/16/2010 1:35 AM, Piers Hemy wrote:
> Ah yes, reminds me of the throttle cable problem on a Mini 30 years ago. The
> throttle jammed open - turned out the cable was frayed, and snapped as I
> worked the tangle free.

There's one difference between a 911 and a mini. The Porsche throttle linkage
was all solid pieces with ball joints,
from pedal all the way back to the carburetors. There's pretty much no way it
could stick open. The piece that broke was
an in-line, rubber vibration damper. The replacement had a cage so that if the
rubber/adhesive failed, as mine had, the
throttle would still work, albeit with a rattle and loss of precision.

> I managed to get home (300 miles) thanks to a piece of string passed through
> a grommet in the bulkhead (firewall) to the carburettor. Hand throttle!

Nicely ingenious, and so much fun to drive. :-)

> I did a proper job when I made it home - made a handle out of a piece of
> hosepipe :-)
>
> Made it to work the next day, drove down to the main dealer to buy a new
> cable, but didn't show off my handiwork.

I didn't show mine, either, just bought the part.

Moose