Re: [OM] olympus Digest, Vol 22, Issue 30

Subject: Re: [OM] olympus Digest, Vol 22, Issue 30
From: Nicholas Herndon <nherndon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 08:57:54 -0500
>You're kidding, right? They make what they think will sell and make them a
profit. The ones who survive are fairly good at that.

I had a really long reply typed up, but I sounded like a bitter 70 year old
man so I deleted it.  You're right, camera companies are just looking to
make a profit, and making digital cameras that fail or are replaced every 2
or 3 years is an easy path to profit.  I remain convinced that Nikon could
release an excellent dedicated 135/120 scanner for about $1000 and still
turn a profit, yet choose not to.  Why?  Because it would be
counterproductive.  They might risk losing some of their consumer base to
the used film market.  But like you said Moose, those few users wouldn't be
enough to make selling $1000 scanners more profitable than selling those
same users 3 DSLRs each in 6 years.  That's reality, and that's the business
model that the big boys have chosen to follow.