Re: [OM] F2 Zuikos + Ilford Pan F = Happiness

Subject: Re: [OM] F2 Zuikos + Ilford Pan F = Happiness
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 20:09:23 -0600
I have mixed feelings about Ilford PanF. On the one hand, it is very
fine-grained and capable of tons of real resolution. However, I think
it lacks in implied resolution. The more modern engineered-grain films
may not have as much real resolution, but they have greater implied
resolution. Another thing that bugs me with PanF is the highlights.
When you get the exposure and processing correct, the highlights are
glorious, but more often than not, I'm less than impressed with them.

Overall, I tend to like Delta 100 better. Tonal separation in the
shadows isn't as rich as PlusX or FP4, but the midtones and highlights
are far, far smoother and seem to go on and on.

Recently, I purchased a wad of film large enough to cause a bit of
domestic discontent as it takes up a substantial portion of the
freezer, taking away space from frozen veggies and salmon fillets.
It's labelled as Arista Premium B&W 100, which is a Freestyle house
brand, but in this case it is Kodak PlusX. Not a Kodak "seconds",
either. Pure, unadulterated Plus X. It took me years to come to grips
with this film, but I am convinced that in the studio, this film is
one of the best portrait films ever in any form. It responds so well
to lighting. It is especially good on this new MCC 110.

AG