Re: [OM] Contax G

Subject: Re: [OM] Contax G
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 22:18:17 -0700
On 4/9/2011 7:06 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I've begun using P mode fairly regularly with the Samsung WB650.

My default settings are Program mode, EV-2/3, ISO 80. I often use Av, but want
it to wake up ready for anything without
thought.

> I need some more experimentation but it also allows throwing ISO into the
> program mix, something I'm otherwise loathe to mess with.

The manual doesn't say, but experimentation shows that Auto ISO tops out at ISO
400. I'd rather have a 200 tops option,
too, but at least it won't go 800 or above, which starts going into abstract
pointillism.

At least on my example, ISO 400 can usually be worked into something decent
with NeatImage.

> However, sticking with ISO 80 all the time often produces relatively noise
> free but blurred images.  :-)

It's really a daylight camera for me. Perfectly good as a social, flash camera,
too. I haven't tried face recognition,
but assume it should help focus there, and it will focus in darkness, with the
focus assist light.

As to the blur, does mine also have better IS? I'd like to hope not. Maybe I'm
slightly steadier? In any case, I've had
far more blur from subject motion than camera motion. I've got hand held shots
at 360 mm eq. and 1/20 sec. where only
the moving parts of people are blurred. Any slower, and it falls apart.

Moose