Re: [OM] Stuck OM-2, & to OM or not to OM

Subject: Re: [OM] Stuck OM-2, & to OM or not to OM
From: "Peter Klein" <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 11:46:16 -0700
Moose wrote:
> Wellll . . . I did that, chose Canon over other DSLR choices, based at
least in part
> on the better high ISO noise and AF
> performance vs. the E-1.

Sometimes I wish I'd done that. The E-1 was a disappointment for me: Too
much noise, too few pixels, and for some reason holding it for a long time
hurt my hands. Even though I have long hands--the equivalent of a size
13-14 (U.S.) shoe. The lenses were great, but no fast primes. Using OM
lenses had a much bigger PITA factor than I'd imagined.  I like walking
about with a fast "normal" lens, and we never got that from Olympus.  The
Leica 25/1.4 was huge, heavy and priced according to its name.

I actually like the E-510, which fits in my hands very nicely. But I miss
2 control wheels, the viewfinder is way too small, and the noise factor
limits its use.

Every so often I look longingly at the newer Olys.  The E-30 has its
points, but to get the weaker AA filter, one has to to the E-5, which is
as heavy as the full-frame models, but still lags behind APS-C in noise.
And it's the current model, which means paying full price or close. And
all the 4/3 cameras have the problem of little highlight headroom even in
RAW.

Moose wrote:
> I've since gone quite brand agnostic,
> and chose my first DSLR that way,
> and I think it was the right choice.

I agree with you here. It's really more a matter of how the camera feels
in the hand, control layout, viewfinder size, brightness, eyepoint (I wear
glasses). Plus how well the camera is suited to your specific purposes.

Points in favor of the D7000--it's Brand N., which only means access to a
huge accessory and lens base. Same basic sensor and a nicely-sized
viewfinder comparable to the K-5.  The D5100 has an articulated screen,
but only one control wheel, a smaller viewfinder, and less buttons, which
would mean more time in Menu-land.

--Peter