Re: [OM] Light meter

Subject: Re: [OM] Light meter
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 10:07:19 -0400
Incident metering is the *correct* way to meter.  You are measuring the
light that's incident on the subject rather than what's reflected from
the subject.  There is no need for gray cards to interpret what the
reading actually means, no need to interpolate, no need for averaging or
any other silly workarounds to compensate for the fact that you are not
reading the actual light intensity rather than the reflected light
intensity which (of course) depends on the (unknown) reflectivity of the
subject.

And it's not limited to portraiture by any means.  Was Ansel Adams known
for his portrait work?  Get with the right program.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt