Re: [OM] Kaputt filter, saved camera

Subject: Re: [OM] Kaputt filter, saved camera
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 06:22:41 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

> I assume this is a plain screw in filter.  As long as
> filter is out-of-round it will be difficult to unscrew.
> Put scotch tape all over the glass part of the filter
> to keep broken glass together.  Using a 1/2" diameter
> dowel, put end of dowel on dented area and rap gently
> with a small hammer to push dented area back out.  It
> is possible filter will unscrew now.
>
> If not,  I would break glass the rest of the way and
> remove it while holding it face down over a garbage can.
> Then cut exposed edge of filter (in the middle of the
> dent) with wire cutters, grab filter ring next to the
> cut and twist it in on itself.  Do from other side of
> cut and it should make filter ring pop off.

     Myself, I use those wide rubber bands from bunches of broccoli.  They make
wonderful gripping surfaces for just about anything that's stuck.  Then grip
the filter ring at various positions until you find the spot where gripping it
presses the ring close to being round and it screws out.  With any luck, it
should be at a right angle from where the impact damage is.

Chris