[OM] Standard lens focal lengths, was: Nathan's PAD 26/1/2012: bokeh

Subject: [OM] Standard lens focal lengths, was: Nathan's PAD 26/1/2012: bokeh
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 16:11:08 -0500 (EST)
>Between 50mm and 80mm there seems to be a no man's land. I really
dislike
>70mm. It's a neither fish nor fowl focal length. It's never long
enough.
>they only thing I can say nice about it is that it's a doubling of the
35mm
>focal length, but even then it just doesn't provide enough of a reach
to be
>usable. At 80mm, the lens becomes usable again. There is another sweet
spot
>between 80 and 105mm.

I was always puzzled by the 75mm primes. Almost went after the CV Color
heliar 75/2.5 in OM mount.
Per previous thread it is really a double Gauss design. Not being a
very enthusiastic RF user,
had not realized it is a common RF focal length for reasons I do not
know.
CV has a true Heliar design (just out for a few months) 75/1.8. It
takes a bit of stopping down
to sharpen the corners and more CA than I would like so took a pass for
now. Interesting
rendering though--good resolution but lowish microcontrast. Just
wouldn't likely use it very much.
No clue about the RF FL's vs SLR.

Many 85-90's, No 75, Mike