Re: [OM] Transit of Venus

Subject: Re: [OM] Transit of Venus
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 10:51:36 -0400 (EDT)

> > Yesterday afternoon and evening were spent observing the
> > transit of Venus.  None of us will ever have this
> > opportunity in our lifetime, unless my goal of immortality
> > proves successful (so far, it's working).
> >

> Interesting that it's bright enough for a photo.  I thought
> about observing it too but wouldn't subject my Celestron 8
> to the sun without a full aperture filter.  Too expensive.
> I guess I'll just have to wait another 100 years or so.  :-)

     I made my own filter, using some film purchased on eBay for $10, a short
length of PVC pipe, and a PVC cap.  It works just as well as the really
expensive ones.  I used it during the eclipse and need to take it apart and
rework it a bit so that it fits better.  I can use it to look directly at the
sun also, which is more convenient than using my welder's goggles.

Chris