Re: [OM] film scanners

Subject: Re: [OM] film scanners
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 09:13:45 -0400
 From Silverfast's site
------------------------
How do I calibrate negatives?
How do I select film profiles in positive mode?

The orange mask of the emulsion surface of negatives makes it rather
impossible to use a standard calibration process for negative images. To
assure fine details, the contrast would necessarily be enforced to
strongly.  To remedy this, LaserSoft Imaging has developed the Negafix
tool which comes integrated into SilverFast. You simply select your film
material and go ahead producing optimal results.

With positive film material it is just the other way round:
You don't need to use a specific film material profile, because the IT8
calibration standard allows to let the software know how a scanner sees
colours.  The main idea about calibration is linearisation. However, you
do not calibrate a given film, but a given source of light.
If the qualities of the scanner's lamp change (due to age, warmth, more
than one lamp in the scanner), you'll need to recalibrate.
Although different films will show different colours for the same image,
this isn't important to calibration, because what calibration is about
that you get the colours on the film into your image file - regardless
of the circumstances of the digitisation process, you shall ideally get
the same colour data.

Profiles for the following negatives are pre-installed with the software
<http://www.silverfast.com/show/negafixprofiles/en.html>

Chuck Norcutt