Re: [OM] PPL: Last call - BW

Subject: Re: [OM] PPL: Last call - BW
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 15:53:11 -0500
> It doesn't normally happen with a moosifiction, but the subject of this
> picture has been totally altered by the change, in the pre moose version
> I go straight to the gentleman on the left and follow his eye contact to
> the guy on the right and its a very simple picture. in the moosified
> version I go straight to the statue and then find the whole scene very
busy.

> its amazing how post processing can have such an effect, thanks for the
> lesson.

For me, the moosifications (moosifiction???) often do alter the pictures
from what I believe is original intent. In this particular case, the
eye-flow is completely altered through the moosification. It's not that
it's necessarily a bad thing, but now the image needs additional cropping
to force the eye to the foreground.

For this one picture, I believe my comfort zone is somewhere in-between the
two versions. The top half of the image is living in Zones VIII-X. I can
see bring that down a little bit so it is more like VII-X. In the darkroom,
I would have done about a 1/2 stop burn in. This would have left the
highest values alone, but brought down anything with any tonal detail down
a smidge. This is something that is easy to do in the darkroom, but digital
editing to accomplish the same task is more convoluted and usually results
in the lowering of all values. The lower part of the image could stand a
very slight increase in contrast. In the darkroom, if I was running
split-grade printing on this image, I would have upped my Grade V exposure
by 1/4 or 1/2 a stop. I would be tempted to actually do a Grade V 1/2 stop
burn on just the gentlemen. This would have increased the contrast for
them, making them stand out more from the rest of the image and when
combined with the above mentioned 1/2 stop burn on the top half of the
image would bring the image into balance without changing the eye-flow.

AG

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx