[OM] Coffee [re: digests]

Subject: [OM] Coffee [re: digests]
From: danmitchell@xxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 07:27:06 -0700
  I'm currently ~500 digests behind and have been meaning to write up an
 OM-D minireview for ages and ages, but figured I'd briefly chime in on
 the coffee discussion with a couple of photos:

 http://i.imgur.com/MV5HN.jpg

 http://i.imgur.com/NhQEc.jpg

  Equipment: grinder is a Baratza Preciso, which works just fine -- the
 Bodum burr grinder is surprisingly good for the price and will just
 about get down to espresso grind, but it's right at its limit (modding
 it helps, mind you); the Preciso still has 1/3 of its range to go when
 it's making a grind that'll choke my machine, so I have lots of room to
 play around if the beans require it.

  Machine is a Nuova Simonelli Oscar (HX machine) -- it makes nice shots
 of espresso, of course, but I don't actually _like_ espresso that much,
 I mostly wanted something that would steam to play around with latte
 art, and it does that in spades. (I've actually had to restrict the
 steam nozzle to keep things under control). Previous machine was a Saeco
 Via Venezia, which also made reasonable coffee (especially once
 depressurised), but wasn't steam-y enough.

  Roaster, when it's not too cold outside, is an old Poppery II
 (http://www.sweetmarias.com/airpop/airpopmethod.php) which does a
 reasonable job in small batches.

  Other tips: by far the best way to get a good shot of espresso-ish
 coffee on the cheap is an Aeropress, just make sure to use it inverted.
 (youtube for lots of links there).