[OM] Vision

Subject: [OM] Vision
From: Brian Gray <bsg017@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 16:25:29 +0000
   On 25/01/2013, at 1:32 AM, Brian Swale wrote:

> An unwelcome fact I discovered only 5 hours ago.
> I am developing cataracts in both eyes, and the one in my left eye, my
> erstwhile best eye, is more advanced.

   As others have said, inserting replacement lenses is now a routine
   operation with a very high success rate.  I do not have direct
   personal experience of this but provided transport for my wife to and
   from hospital for her operations about a year ago.  The two eyes were
   done about two months apart and in each case we were in and out the
   hospital in less than 3 hours with follow up visits the next day and
   some time later.   Within days of the first operation, she found
   driving much easier than before because road signs were easier to read,
   and this was clearly apparent from the passenger seat!
   If you follow this precedent, Brian,and as someone who looks carefully
   at things when taking photographs, you may be surprised to find in the
   interim period that some objects look different colours depending on
   which eye is being used!  In our case, it was a dark green cardigan of
   mine which looked blue with one eye and green with the other.  Possibly
   not too surprising as I understand a cataract can act as a yellow
   filter.   But I am not sure what the view of professional Philosophers
   is on this since in my experience there is a tendency for tutors at an
   introductory level to regard an object's colour as an absolute
   characteristic of the object, and have enough difficulty coping with
   arguments about the effects of different ambient lighting.
   But one piece of advice, be careful for a while after the operation and
   try not to have an accident like one friend recently who went water
   skiing too soon afterwards and suffered a  bad fall.
   Brian Gray