Re: [OM] Back to Point Lobos

Subject: Re: [OM] Back to Point Lobos
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 17:17:23 -0800
On 1/30/2013 4:52 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I quote you from one of your images: "I’m used to seeing herons fishing
> in shallow water, standing perfectly still”.  It reminded me of a time
> when I was working as a volunteer for the US Fish & Wildlife Service.  I
> was watching a woman who was intently watching a great blue heron do the
> heron thing which is to stand perfectly still while fishing.  I
> anticipated she'd have some sort of question after staring at the bird
> for quite some time.  Eventually she noticed me and walked over.  She
> said: "How come you have plastic birds here?"
>
> The same story can be repeated by substituting "plastic alligators" for
> "plastic birds.  :-)

Glad to prompt you to remember and share such an amusing story. :-)

Just watching Carol scroll through them on her iPad, I was struck again at what
an age of wonders we live in. I would
just never have gotten most of these images in my film days. Yes, they were
possible, but required equipment I couldn't
afford and wouldn't carry, time I didn't have then and patience I don't seem
likely to develop.

A lot of Pro shots of sea otters in the wild were no better than what I've now
taken.

And viewing! It was either awful little 4x6 prints, even the best of them,
frustratingly bad standard 8x10s or custom
prints I couldn't afford. They look just wonderful on an iPad3, with the Retina
screen.

And slide shows! Getting people together in the dark to view images that were
never quite square, never quite perfectly
in focus over the whole scene, seen on grainy, glass bead screens that were
bright, but unnatural looking or silver
screens with lenticular lines that were never quite bright enough or a bed
sheet with wrinkles ...

They look soooo much better on a big screen TV. :-)

Otter Moose