Re: [OM] There is always a solution to every problem - off topic

Subject: Re: [OM] There is always a solution to every problem - off topic
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 19:30:15 -0600
I had asked for something, as a planner, that had no obvious solution. In
an ideal world, the upgrade would have been done in parallel, but we had no
such luxury. The engineers basically told me to do something to myself that
would have technically been as impossible.

So, I came up with an idea of how to do it (not their suggestion which
would have involved dislocated body parts) and whiteboarded it out when the
lightbulb went "ding" and I realized that this plan was backwards. I
reversed the drawing and everything fell into place.

As I described this to my boss about an hour ago, he asked "soooo, this
wasn't OBVIOUS to you before?"

It's not that the solution is simple, but it is elegant. And the way to
describe it made it appear to be THE obvious solution. Grrr.

Dilbert moments...

The lesson here, which I wanted to share, is that the problem was
overwhelming and threatened to doom the entire project. I told the engineer
standing there that every problem has a solution and the challenge is to
find it. I did my classic work backwards routine and within 20 minutes had
it. I highly doubt that a linear thought process would have found it
because it involved the shuffling of items and bending the space-time
continium.

Scotty Schnozz

--
Ken Norton