Re: [OM] Kiev 4

Subject: Re: [OM] Kiev 4
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 07:12:42 -0500
On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 12:17 AM, Brian Swale <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Has the noun 'resilience' got anything to do with the verb 'to resile' ?

I don't think there is such a verb in an active form like that.  It
devolves in use from the passive "to be resilient," whereas "resilient"
itself derives from "silio" -- to spring forth, and "re +silio" would mean
"I keep popping back up every time I get slammed."  I suspect it is not a
classical form but is more recent.  Most of our words from Latin are from
medieval Latin.  Perhaps Chris or Piers can give you a proper answer.

To some degree I have resilience.  And I still have a perfectly good OM-1.

> My partner came into some money the other day and donated me a small
> part of it. Through a process of convoluted reasoning, I deduced therefore
> that if I used some of that gift I would myself be paying only half the
> purchase price for that Kiev 4, which was more reasonable  ..... and so it
> arrived at my door at 8:15 this morning.
>
> A fascinating beast, with a lot in common with my Contaflex from the
> 1960's.
>
> It should be a fun toy; I need to get back into B&W to do photography maybe
> more in tune with it's character.
>
> One certainly appreciates the integrated functions of a modern camera,
> when going back to this.
>
> The vendor is quite a photographer in his own right, and this Kiev 4 was
> one
> of 3 he imported from a reputable Ukraine vendor a little while ago.
>
> I praised the images he showed on the auction site, and asked what gear he
> used for them.

Congratulations Brian.  It seems like fun to me.  I have done similar
things and it gets me out of my doldrums.

You might be interested in his response ...
> > The TM pics were taken with  my original Canon 5D, still going
> > strong and probably a classic camera by now, with an even more elderly EF
> > 28-105 f/1.35-4.5.  It's a lens I like for product photography as it
> > focuses really close and has an image quality indistinguishable from "L"
> > glass until one gets up to massive file sizes.  I've been working on some
> > stuff this afternoon and enclose a low-res sample from the set-up,  just
> > images for an overseas website

I know nothing of the EF lenses, but I suspect it is similar to the popular
35-105/3.5-4.5 Zuikos.  I also have a Nikkor in that size that you'd swear
was made in the same factory on nearly the same day.  They focus close
because of the little "macro" button that provides an extra turn of the
focus ring.  I have used mine with the 5D.  It's a little slow and dark but
produces excellent results.  I prefer the 35-80/2.8 for its extra speed.
 In fact, it just bests the 35-105 at everything except reach and the macro
button.  With the 7mm tube, it regains the advantage of the macro button.

The Tamron 24-135 for EOS that Chuck turned me on to would make all of this
easier, though I haven't tested it for close focusing.  It may be that your
seller likes manual focusing for these jobs.

Joel W