Re: [OM] Big Sharp and Little Sharp I [was New panorama up]

Subject: Re: [OM] Big Sharp and Little Sharp I [was New panorama up]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 22:06:04 -0700
On 4/2/2013 9:22 AM, DZDub wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 3:23 AM, piers@xxxxxxxx <piers.hemy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> My only suggestion, Brian, is that you conduct scientifically based
>> research on the effectivesness (effect) of the IS. That is, to exclude
>> the possibility that IS is actually degrading your image quality. In
>> my experience IS should only be used when needed - if the shutter
>> speed is short enough that I can hand-hold the camera successfully, I
>> always disable IS because I always get a better result.
> That's a very good suggestion, Piers.  I tend to leave IS on all of the
> time and really need it seldom. It should only be needed in situations at
> the extremes.

I suggest that the best IS is one that one may simply leave on all the time,
enhancing the quality of images where
needed and at the very least, not detracting from IQ when not (apparently)
needed.

My experience with the E-M5 so far suggests that it at least comes close to
that ideal. Clearly, Piers doesn't have that
quality in his IS.

Truth be told, I think a lot of hand held shots that I, and I suspect most of
us, think are fine, based on hope,
experience and/or the 1/FL rule, are less sharp than they could be with a
higher shutter speed or IS.

I accidentally made an experiment, when I left IS on for tripod work, realized
my possible mistake, before changing
anything, and reshot. If anything, I thought the IS on shots might have been a
teensy bit better - certainly not worse.

Steady Now, Moose