[OM] New Yorker article--Goodbye, Cameras

Subject: [OM] New Yorker article--Goodbye, Cameras
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 19:47:57 -0500 (EST)
I.Q. Moose writes:

>>If one is happy with a fixed, WA view of the world, doesn't want to
shoot when
>>it's very dark other than close stuff
>>with flash and isn't interested in much cropping, I can see it
working.

Yes,  under limited  contrived circumstances the i-thingies can hold
their own.  --Still  it says something.

http://www.takebetterphotos.com.au/iphone5-camera-review.html

Quote from the review:

"To put these differences into perspective, before the release of the
iPhone 5, we asked 50 non-photographers to compare 15" prints of a
similar image from each of these cameras, to work out which were the
cheap ones and which the expensive ones and which was the iPhone 4s.
15" prints aren't a stringent photographic test, but they're bigger
than most iPhone photos will ever be printed. Over half of people
placed the iPhone 4s above the Nikon D3. The picture quality from the
iPhones is 'good enough' for most people.

All of these pictures were taken without using the zoom on the iPhones,
as their picture quality plummets if you use the digital zoom, so you
have to be comfortable with the fixed 33mm-equivalent focal length of
the lens."

Not good 'nough for me except when nothing else is available, Mike

PS  Oh, the GX-7 wifi is said to be fussy to get configured and you
confirmed that.