Re: [OM] IMG: Wroclaw

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Wroclaw
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 08:32:36 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Yes, that's when the new ones look like. If by "single-ended" you mean
>that there is only a driver in the front, then yes.

     Cheaper that way, provided that the infrastructure already accomodates
that approach.  Current new designs tend to be double-ended so that the trains
can go in both directions and eliminate the need for wyes or other trackage
needed to turn them around.

>I must say, however, that the majority of the trams in Wroclaw are an
>older design, probably from the 1970s or 80s. It seems that they are being
>replaced (very) gradually by the new ones.

     We don't have any demostic designs here in the US, or at least I'm not
aware of any.  The one we have in Phoenix is Japanes, and it has an annoying
electronic bell.    Tucson will open it's revived streetcar system this year:

http://www.tucsonstreetcar.com/index.php

     They have a few antique streetcars from Belgium, Japan, and the US that
they have been running for years on weekends, but they dug up the old trackage
and expanded it to a modern design.  They had to dig out one underpass so as to
lower the street to accomodate the taller size of the new train units, and even
so had to replace the pantograph of one of the older cars and replace it with a
trailing arm.  It's a very worthwhile investment in city intrastructure.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson