[OM] The Photography Show Birmingham.

Subject: [OM] The Photography Show Birmingham.
From: JOHN DUGGAN <john.duggan10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 00:28:46 +0000 (GMT)
Hi all,
          On Saturday I went to the UK Photography Show in Birmingham - a very
good day out.
 I was pleased to see that Olympus were well represented, all their micro four
thirds stuff, along with a range of their lenses, including some of their
professional range. Very enthusiastic staff and I ended up buying a 25mm f1.8
lens - more of that later.

On the Kowa stand.
 I had  a chance to attach a prototype 8.5mm f2.8 Kowa manual focus / aperture
lens to my E-M5. This lens is due to sell in the UK in three months or so. I
REALLY WANT ONE!!! Minimum distortion, clear as a bell, a focal length that is
ideal for architecture and no apparent colour fringing. Very good quality,
metal construction, but rather expensive - I will have to start saving now.
Kowa have always manufactured very high quality spotting scopes so they have a
good optical pedigree.

Some Very nice large format equipment , both film and digital , was also on
show. The prices made Leica seem budget equipment !

 Back to the story of the Olympus lens.
The member of staff I spoke to on the Olympus stand explained that they had no
stock to sell but pointed me in the direction of the CameraWorld stall where
they had the lens at a discount...and he gave me a £50.00 voucher which he
assured me could be redeemed on the Olympus website against the 25mm lens. I
bought the lens and was a happy camper UNTIL I returned home to discover on the
website of the firm running the Olympus promotion that there were various
conditions and getouts and that my lens was not covered! A long phone call to
this firm got me nowhere!
Slightly annoyed by this time I phoned Olympus, explained the issue and the
person I talked to said they would get back in touch. I thought that would be
the last I would hear from them. Today they returned my phonecall. The Head of
Consumer Marketing agreed that nowhere on the cashback voucher was there any
mention of exceptions, indeed it specifically stated "....redeemable against
any purchase of Olympus Micro Four Thirds accessories over £300." They agreed
that it would be unreasonable (impossible) to check terms and conditions
without computer access which is unrealistic at a trade show. So they have
honoured the £50.00 voucher and amended their web site to include the 25mm f1.8
lens in their promotions! I call that a RESULT! All credit to Olympus - I
expected them to stonewall me BUT they listened to reason.

Regards
John Duggan,
Wales, UK