Re: [OM] [OT] In case you hadn't heard....

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] In case you hadn't heard....
From: Don Holbrook <donholbrook@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 15:06:56 +0000 (UTC)
This link may answer some questions.  I still receive the magazine as a
leftover from work.  No opinion.

http://www.americanlaboratory.com/913-Technical-Articles/154364-Science-Based-Hydraulic-Fracing-Review-of-the-ACS-Regional-Meeting/

----- Original Message -----From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>To:
olympus@thomasclausen.netSent: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 07:25:53 -0000 (UTC)Subject:
Re: [OM] [OT] In case you hadn't heard....

Here in the U.S., there is a permanent lobby against every power source except
wind, solar, and tides. I suspect the UK/EU/AUS/NZ has similar characters. And
even then, they start lawsuits when the wind farms kill birds, and if
developing tidal resources might kill fish or disrupt ecosystems, etc. The
elephant in the room is that renewables will only help, but not meet our total
energy needs by a long shot. This is always swept under the rug. The joules
just aren't there.

While I share some of the "green's" concerns, I'm with Nathan. I simply think
that the long-term ecological risks are less than the risks of depending for
vital energy on cultures who will use petrodollars and the political clout they
bring to undermine Western Civilization and all the good things it stands for.
Whether large-scale fracking is OK or not, I'm not decided on, but I have my
doubts. It appears to be a very dirty technology with lots of toxic crud left
in the groundwater after the petroleum is extracted.