Re: [OM] [OT] In case you hadn't heard....

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] In case you hadn't heard....
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 20:11:57 -0700
On 3/23/2014 4:04 AM, Andrew Fildes wrote:
> Fukushima was not a flooding risk - it was a failure of the imagination.
> And we will never overcome that problem.
> Unforeseen circumstances are by their very nature - unforeseen.

Yes and no.

Carol's sisters are visiting, partly to get out of NY and Boston to find some
spring. One is chief librarian for a big
law firm. During the flooding in Manhattan, locating their files and IT systems
in three levels of basement turned out
to have been a poor idea. Water made it up to mid way up the ground floor.

It seems to me that in both cases, hiring someone smart to simply think about
bad things not all that unlikely to happen
and how their effects might be mitigated by simple, fairly inexpensive measures
could be quite worthwhile - especially
when designing a nuclear power plant.

The rogue meteorite, the terrorist plane, I agree, unforeseeable. Water coming
over a sea wall, or down a basement not
far from or high above the ocean, imaginable.

I worked for many years in building not far from or much above the level of SF
bay. One extra responsibility I ended up
with was for the property files for thousands of pieces of real estate. We kept
them on the third floor, and nothing of
any value in the basement. Not everyone has such a limited imagination. Yes, I
checked into the load bearing capacity of
the floor, paper and fireproof file cabinets aren't light. Made it just fine
through the Loma Prieta earthquake, that
broke the Bay Bridge and collapsed a freeway.

Imagine A. Moose