Re: [OM] Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania mini Zuiko-fest report

Subject: Re: [OM] Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania mini Zuiko-fest report
From: Don Holbrook <donholbrook@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 12:55:34 +0000 (UTC)
Thanks, Chuck, for the nice meeting report.  Enjoyed meeting another List
member.  If you still can't choose, just buy both!   :-)

----- Original Message -----From: Chuck Norcutt
<chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>To: Olympus mail list
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>Sent: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 20:54:34 -0000 (UTC)Subject:
[OM] Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania mini Zuiko-fest report

Ha. Maybe you didn't know there was a Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania mini
Zuiko-fest held yesterday. It was pretty mini since it lasted (I didn't time
it) but I'd guess less than 1 hour.

While on my drive back from Florida to New York I met with Don Holbrook at the
Silver Spring Diner in Mechanicsburg, PA specifically to see and handle his
OM-D E-M1. My objective was to see if there was a convenient button on the E-M1
that can be used for focus when focus is removed from the shutter button. It
took me only a couple of minutes with the camera in hand to note the AEL/AFL
button on the back of the camera next to the EVF. Despite having a PDF copy of
the E-M1 user's manual I had never noticed or paid attention to the button
before. With the camera in my hand it pretty much jumped out at me. It struck
me not only as a button that was conveniently reachable with the thumb (the
same as I use my Canon 5D) but (given the functions noted on the button) was
probably intended to be used that way somewhere in the bowels of the menu
system.

Unfortunately, I no longer have Don's camera in my hands but now that I'm home
and can browse the user's manual in PDF form I have discovered all that I was
looking for (and more) in the table at the bottom of page 98. The AEL/AFL
button has three major modes of operation depending on whether the camera is
set for single AF, continuous AF or MF. Each of these modes has 3 or 4
sub-modes which control the effect of the button on focus and metering. What I
was looking for (single AF removed from the shutter button, single AF
controlled by the AEL/AFL button and exposure locked by the shutter button at
time of exposure) is achieved by setting the camera to single AF in Mode 3. A
pleasant surprise was that Mode 3 also performs similarly when in continuous AF
or even MF. Anyhow, I'm a happy camper since what I was looking for is there
and on a very convenient button.

Button placement is much better than the E-M5 and can be operated with thumb
and index finger. Button placement on the E-M5 requires that I use my index
finger for both buttons (shutter button and the one controlling focus.

I wish I'd had more time to meet with Don and get to know him better. He's a
true Zuikoholic. He has practically every OM lens ever made and I don't know
how many 4/3 lenses. He has no m4/3 lenses but think he liked my 14-150. He had
the 50/2 macro installed with m4/3 adapter. I was surprised at how fast it
focused on the E-M1. He also brought his Zuiko 50/1.2 which is an impressive
lens I'd never seen.

Anyhow, the meeting was too short but fun and productive. Now the question is,
how badly do I want an E-M1. I loved holding it and viewing through the new
screen. But there's another problem... I'm in the middle of spending lots of
money on a new house. :-)

ps: Both of use were toting cameras but neither thought to take any photos. Too
much gear talk I think. But it was fun.

Chuck Norcutt--