Re: [OM] IMG: Rice Paper

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Rice Paper
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 14:18:18 -0700
On 4/20/2014 1:59 PM, Chris Barker wrote:
> I like that composition, Tina, but I get the impression that his fingernails
> are sharper than his nose.

Don't you get it? You aren't supposed to be bothered by that in B&W images by
rangefinder, "shallow DOF even if the sun
is bright and the subject is moving" practitioners. Maybe it's Art?

Tricky enough if you can see the focus. But if the mechanical focusing
cam/mechanism is just a tiny bit off, you can't
really focus that perfectly.

Oops, a little snark crept in from one who has never liked rangefinders - or
(oh dear, I feel it coming on again)
shallow DOF shots other than portraits, set pieces, and so on, where one may
bracket focus.

On 4/20/2014 2:06 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
> Yes, it's 1.7.

OK, all snarkiness aside, an honest question by a puzzled shooter and viewer -
why? F8, focused just where this shot is
or a tiny bit forward, would have nailed the man and his burden. Maybe f5.6
focused right where it is, if background
separation is a big concern.

Less exposure, then lifting  the bottom a bit in post also wouldn't hurt.

Doesn't Get It Moose