Re: [OM] New cam jitters--what utility do you use to transfer files?

Subject: Re: [OM] New cam jitters--what utility do you use to transfer files?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2014 19:45:59 -0700
Transferred a few files as usual with zoombrowser and updated GM-1 firmware--recommended strongly to reformat card so I did. Raw files were on the card-- I checked to be sure cam set OK. All seemed well but went to process a file to be sure debugged the entire procedure and oooooops, no raw files. I had just one nice shot that is now gone in raw but suspect now the Canyon utility doesn't see 'em.

I believe that's true, I seem to recall that's why I ended up using PIE. Makes sense; why would Canon software recognize and work with Panny RW2 files?

I think Downloader Pro and picture info extractor mentioned before but not sure what to use.

I tried several apps, including Bridge, FastStone, IrfanView, Picasa and ???. PIE was the only one that cleanly added a new directory with the date and neatly separated JPEG, Raw and Video files into sub-directories, all with a high degree of customization. It also can keep profiles for different cameras. So, it's pick a profile and go, to transfer what I want, how I want it.

There is a paid version of PIE that enables changing metadata.

I find their display of metadata odd. Every other tool I've used keeps it in the same order as in the file. PIE's display may be more logical, but I would only be comfortable using it if I didn't use any other metadata tools. No, I haven't really tried that aspect.

Nor have I tried it as a browser. FastStone and Bridge are enough for me. If I could get just the downloader, without the rest, I'd be happy.

BTW, I bought a Transcend USB 3.0 SD card reader, which is much faster, in a '3' port, than the one in the multi function reader and port thingie in my desktop.

Imported Raw Moose