Re: [OM] IMG: View from the Chicken House

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: View from the Chicken House
From: ozlangur@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 08:01:46 +1000
> On 2 Jun 2014, at 4:15 am, Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Our German Shepherd doesn't do snakes.  She is great against coyotes,
> possums, squirrels, and racoons but snakes are too sneaky for her.  A
> mongoose is a great idea.

Around here I've seen people use solar powered snake scarers. They look like
those solar powered driveway/pathway lights, solar cell on top and a spike to
push into the ground. They're set to vibrate that spike a set time, which,
through the ground vibrations, purportedly deters the snakes. The few people
I've spoken to claim they've not seen a snake since installing them (around
here mainly Brown, Copperhead & Red-Bellied Black) - I'm not sure if by that
reasoning you could also call them "Unicorn scarers". But people do swear by
them on a before-and-after basis (Google will provide references, probably for
and against).

Personally, even the brief and relatively quiet buzz every so often would
probably annoy the crap out of me (I'm a bit obsessive about sounds and
relative silence), so we'll wait for next summer to see how prolific they are
around the house. We don't yet have animals other than dogs, and neither of us
fear (beyond caution) the snakes.

Now, Tina, fair exchange of ideas,  can you tell me how to get rid of the mice
in our roof? Bloody noisy nighttime buggers. ;-)

Cheers,
Marc
Snowy Mts, Oz