Re: [OM] Changing the question: was: Any suggestions for a VOIP provider

Subject: Re: [OM] Changing the question: was: Any suggestions for a VOIP provider?
From: Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 00:08:53 -0800
Another plug for Ooma, is that if you want a real direct landline replacement
that does not rely on a computer being on, it works that way, unlike skype or
viber etc. which normally require computer or smartphone to be on.

You can just plugin your regular old telephone into the ooma box which plugs
into the ethernet, and forget that it is voip.

However if you use one of the better handsets compatible with Ooma, or the one
provided with it depending on model purchased, then you get much higher voice
quality than you ever got from the limited bandwidth of old landlines and their
poor quality handsets. Unlimited US domestic usage and international calls
charged at rates competitive with skype. That is typically about 2c/min to
landlines to most countries, more to cells where the carrier charges and higher
to some smaller third world countries in Africa and Asia.

If you do lots of high bandwidth streaming from your isp,  then you can also
setup ooma to manage Qos for you, but I have never bothered, as it seems to
work just fine for competing with my common bandwidth usage patterns.

Tim