Re: [OM] Square Hoods (was: New toy on the way)

Subject: Re: [OM] Square Hoods (was: New toy on the way)
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 08:41:30 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>I couldn't find any rectangular but petal shaped ones can be found.  I
>only searched for 62mm but these same suppliers may also make larger
>ones.  Here's 2 that I found

     <<SNIP>>

     Thank you for all of that.  Not too keen on the tulip types due to the
corner gaps.  The round ones all tend to be too shallow so as to avoid
vignetting, and none that I've seen have the desireable anti-glare stepping
Searching broader on evilBay I came across this item:

<http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Black-Plastic-Modular-Lens-Hood-for-Cokin-A-Series-/151413800227>

     That is very much to my liking, especially since I can use it in
conjuction with the Cokin graduated filters.  It looks to be more refined than
the clip-on one offered by Cokin.  I did not see a similar one for the larger P
series, but then I have not invested in any P-series items.

     This may motivate me to primarily use Cokin A-series filters, especially
since I cannot make use of Wratten filters for field B&W work.  Because of
that, I'm reduced to just carrying warming and cooling filters (rather than
adjusting the colour temperature) as well as neutral density and linear
polarisers.

     It remains to be seen how I will end up compensating for the problems
encountered with taking digital B&W.  For now, I'm taking a carefully
conditioned colour photo, adding the Wratten filter with FilterSim, then
converting the B&W using DxO FilmPack.  That actually gives me much more
flexibility, but I still rely heavily on my hard-earned mental judgement as to
what Wratten filter is best.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson