Re: [OM] First Bloom, Second Take

Subject: Re: [OM] First Bloom, Second Take
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 15:28:58 -0700
On 5/27/2015 7:27 AM, Paul Braun wrote:
I pulled up the other shot - not composed quite as nicely, but it seems to
be sharper all around.

I'm not sure what happened to exposure here. ESP metering and 0 EV should give a pretty good exposure, but the top of the histogram is empty. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Braun/FirstHyacinth.htm>

Sharper than the last one, but DoF is still a little shallow for my taste. FM helps, but not as naturally as a smaller aperture.

If you can't hold it steady and at the exact same distance while fully pressing the release, so AF and exposure coincide, try a tripod.

As to the focal length discussion, it really makes little difference in DoF.
Here is a comparison:

This is 75-300 @ 252, f11. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=17369>

This is 12-50 in 43 mm macro mode, f11.
<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=17367>

The 252 mm one is the full frame. I cropped the other, and it somehow ended up larger. Still, I just don't see any meaningful difference in DoF. I'd choose simply on angle and perspective.

Notice the difference in DoF compared to your f6 image. I know, Chuck, among others, will say f11 isn't optimum for a 4/3 sensor. But it's not far off and a little deconvolution corrects the diffraction blurring nicely. And for this sort of display size, it's just not an issue.

Proof in the Pudding Moose