Re: [OM] IMG: Turncoats

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Turncoats
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 13:42:54 -0800
On 2/3/2016 11:25 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
As I explained, I got the title "Turncoats" from the bumper sticker on the
back of their truck. "No votes for Turncoats"  They chose the word.

Well, not really. You chose to make it the title. As a casual viewer, I will think that people who are the subject of a photo are the ones to whom the title refers. I saw the bumper stickers as just part and parcel of their 'look', a sea of propaganda. I didn't pay attention to the details. If I read that stuff, they win a little. If I react, they win a lot.

So, they are protesting turncoats? Would this famous painting then be titled "Royalists"? <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Leading_the_People#/media/File:Eug%C3%A8ne_Delacroix_-_La_libert%C3%A9_guidant_le_peuple.jpg>

I thought it was ironic

Be happy that AndrewF isn't paying attention.

because  "After the U.S. Civil War
<http://t.sidekickopen35.com/e1t/c/5/f18dQhb0S7lC8dDMPbW2n0x6l2B9nMJN7t5XYgfmKYPW4WzBHl3Mx_9dW3LqWkM56dQ1Jf7P8b5b02?t=http%3A%2F%2Flegal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com%2FU.S.%2BCivil%2BWar&si=6038418186567680&pi=c45d9c0d-0da6-4617-f165-12ba59ddcdea>
, for example, all Confederate soldiers were vulnerable to charges of
treason, regardless of their role in the secession or insurrection of
the Southern states."  which is what you find when you Google turncoats.

I don't see anything in that linked article about turncoats; the word doesn't appear there at all. I can imagine the dilemma of many Confederate soldiers who survived the war choosing between "turning coat", to get on with lives in the reality of their post war world vs. staying true to their beliefs and/or saving face with family, friends, community, etc. Then again, losers of many other wars have had worse to deal with.

I admit to being tone deaf to the Civil War/War between the States. As far as I know, and that's quite a lot, none of my forebears or their relatives were involved. Any who may have been briefly in the US at the time were on their way directly from Europe to the wilderness of the Utah Territory. I then grew up almost 100 years later on an edge of the continent where there are simply communal no memories or emotional affect that I was aware of.

None of this bears, as far as I can see, on the choice of title.

Tough Pedantry Moose