Re: [OM] New Panny lens

Subject: Re: [OM] New Panny lens
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 08:13:45 +0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

On 2/25/2016 8:04 AM, Frank wrote:
Small chronology remark: the Pana 12-35mm arrived (long) before the Oly
12-40mm.

That makes more sense.

The new 12-60mm might be a better lens then the 12-50mm (although I was
not
unsatisfied with it, on sunny Italian holidays), but it will be hard to
beat the 12-40mm (with which I'm very, very satisfied).

Different strokes. I'm up over 11,000 shots with my 12-50, and still happy
with it. Some use with the HR feature of the E-M5 II have shown that it
out resolves the 16 MP sensors of current OM-Ds and Pens and will still do
so with 20 and almost certainly 24 MP sensors.

The problem with the lower end kit lenses is the poor uneven edge
performance. It happen to the my 14-42 II (the version I I had was much
better) and my Pana 45-150, one edge is poorer than the other side. I have
seen some Oly 12-50s have the same problem so I will avoid it. My 12-40 is
perfectly fine on this aspect with very good edge to edge sharpness.

The 12-40/2.8 looks darn fine, and I'd like the C-U/macro without a
separate mode, but I have a hard time imagining myself being happy with
twice the weight and less reach. And as to speed, my LR catalog says 1,393
of those 11,164 shots, 12% were at f5.9 or faster. I'm seldom looking for
faster, in practice.

I found little difference between 80 and 100mm (35mm equ.). I much prefer a
fast lens, it let me shoot with lower noise at low night. Also, the 4/3
sensor is small, I want a faster lens to get a little more DOF control. BTW,
I seldom shoot slower than F5.6.

C.H.Ling