[OM] Hello, Deer

Subject: [OM] Hello, Deer
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 22:14:46 -0700
Yesterday afternoon, I was pursuing my Alt photographic interests, taking test shots from our driveway across the street, when I looked up and saw a deer walking up the street through my subject. So I took another shot. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=20328>

I was checking out some old MF lenses to see how good, i.e. bad, spherical aberrations they might have at larger apertures. Fortunately for this image, I was using a lens and aperture with reasonably good conventional IQ, as they were 28 mm, so what you see is a 100% sample.

This 28/2.8 lens is labeled AUTO IMAGE, apparently the brand being "Image". Never heard of it, but it's too good a lens for my purposes. :-) A much older looking design Tamron 28/2.8, with big, bulgy front element and older coatings, was much more accommodating. At f2.8, it goes for the glow. At f4, the glow disappears, but a certain overall softness, without over obscuring detail, remains. At f5.6, there's not much difference, and by f8, they are slightly different looking, but equally sharp.

Next up is comparison of my "new" lens that's soft focus primarily from spherical aberration to the LensBaby Soft Focus Optic. and its colander style aperture plates.

Softly, Softly, Catchee Moosie