Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 25/7/2016: portrait of my children and a film proc

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 25/7/2016: portrait of my children and a film processing question
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 16:13:33 -0500
I'd be looking at the rebate area of the film to see if there is a
darkening there too. Several possibilities come to mind.

As it is a darkening in the "print", there are three stages where this
would occur:

1. During the exposure itself. If it was a vertical shutter, this
would be a result of the shutter needing adjustment. It could also be
the lighting of the scene, or it could be a rectangle lens shade
misaligned.

2. During processing. This would indicate an underdevelopment of that
part of the negative. Caused by not enough chemistry in the can. You
would still get development because of agitation, but you'll get
exhaustion where the negative wasn't submerged. This will affect the
highlights more than the shadows and I see where the darkening is not
uniform.

3. During scanning. But this can be determined easily enough by just
eyeballing the negs.

Actually, another possibility came to mind. You might have a
light-leak problem with your tank. Light can go down the fill hole and
leak out around the bottom of the tank partially exposing the negs in
the tank. I have experienced this a couple of times through the years.

AG