Re: [OM] New focus stack (& sharpening tools)

Subject: Re: [OM] New focus stack (& sharpening tools)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 22:31:36 -0700
On 7/27/2016 9:40 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
Very nice one!

On 7/28/2016 5:36 AM, Wayne Harridge wrote:
Very impressive.

Thanks, guys!

On 7/28/2016 6:07 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
AG, enough sharpening for you? ;-)
Not too shabby at all. :)

Thanks!

There is one thing that bugs me about these focus-stack images,
though, and this one exemplifies it perfectly. It looks like a "green
screen" composite image that you see on the evening news when the
weatherman stands in front of his maps.

I notice that, too. I've masked so that the adjustments apply only to the flower, no point in adding pop to the background, but even with the mask off, it has that effect. I wonder if it isn't that we have spent whole lives looking at images of deeply 3D flowers and other objects where the focal plane is set so that the limited DoF is concentrated on the closest parts and the deeper areas go OoF? When presented with full focus for the full depth, it looks strange - unlike viewing images we are used to, as opposed to unlike viewing the flower in person.

Thanks for looking and commenting.
Maybe it just needs a touch of vignetting.

:-)

Deep Focus Moose