Re: [OM] E-M1 focus testing

Subject: Re: [OM] E-M1 focus testing
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2016 02:42:50 -0700
On 7/31/2016 11:15 PM, Wayne Harridge wrote:
A few quick questions Moose:

How long does it take for the camera to automatically take all the exposures
for the stack ?

I wish the answer were as simple as the question sounds. :-)

We've been talking about three cameras, all different.

E-M1
1. Will make a stacked image in-camera, but only with three lenses, 60/2.8 Macro, 12-40/2.8 Pro and 40-150/2.8 Pro, including with telextender. Takes a series of exposures; outputs a combined image JPEG. Oly calls this Focus Stacking. Don is the one doing this. I don't have an E-M1 and know no more about # of exposures, focal differential settings, as it's a firmware upgrade, and not in the manual.

2. Will make a series of exposures over a range of focal distances with any µ4/3 AF lens (exceptions?) Oly calls this Focus Bracketing, which is useful and accurate terminology, but at odds with common usage. Up to 999 exposures may be made at focus differentials of 1-10. The actual distance between focal planes depends on lens and aperture. Allows setting a pause between exposures for flash recharging.

TG-4
1. Will make a stacked image in-camera, but only in Microscope Mode = C-U to true macro. Takes JPEGs, outputs a combined image JPEG and a single JPEG of the closest focal point exposure. Oly calls this Focus Stacking. It seems that it determines the closest and furthest points it will cover on its own, then takes a number of 'slices'. Whether that number is fixed or variable, I don't know. There is no record of that.

2. Will make a series of exposures over a range of focal distances, Focus Bracketing. Settings allow 10, 20 or 30 exposures, and Narrow, Normal or Wide focus differential between them.

E-M5 II
Does Focus Bracketing, the same as E-M1 #2, above
Finally getting around to the question. My E-M5 IIs take the first 12 exposures in maybe 2-3 seconds, depending in part on the shutter speed. They use full electronic shutter, so there's no mechanical shutter to delay things. After that, the buffer is full, and the following exposures proceed at a more leisurely pace, depending in part, I suppose, on the speed of the card.

So, the way I have come to use it for hand held shooting, the 12 exposures are
quite quick.

Once all the exposures have been made how long does it take for the camera
to construct the finished JPG ?

It takes several seconds on the TG-4, how much depending on the number of exposures chosen. It's not fast, but hardly tedious, to me. Perhaps Don will chime in with speed for the E-M1.

Complexity of Choices Moose