Re: [OM] Linux/Photoshop question

Subject: Re: [OM] Linux/Photoshop question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2016 20:08:33 -0400
IBM has been doing Virtual Machines since 1967 <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VM_(operating_system)> (including UNIX and its numerous relatives)

Chuck Norcutt

On 8/2/2016 11:10 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
While there are specific distributions of Linux that are optimized for
specific purposes, none of those you mention, Ken, are that type, and I'm
disinclined to believe that there are significant measurable differences if
one benchmarks them.

I'm just thinking of the one variant of Ubuntu that has some
alterations to the kernal that helps with the real-time functionality
of multi-track digital editors.

Regarding photo editing, as with other "major" applications that one might
use to decide which OS, I'd take an opposite view to yours. Choice of
application tends to severely limit one's choice of OS.

Very true. But I take the approach that the OS is what supports the
application. I remember a number of years ago when NPR got the
hair-brained idea to buy Mac computers for their audio storage and
retrieval system and then discovered that the only systems out there
ran on Windows and Linux. I sold the right solution to them TWICE!
Once when the other vendor couldn't deliver and they subcontracted
with my company, and the second time when I was able to design the
correct solution to their needs.

One of the nice features of Linux' excellent support for VMs is precisely
the ability to spin up any other OS on demand, just to be able to play
around and figure if one might be missing out on a much better app that
better suits one's needs. Once a VM is spun up and a base snapshot created,
you can try apps and other sorts of madness all you like. Screwed up the
install? Revert to base snapshot in mere moments. Hate the applications?
Revert to base snapshot with no registry cruft. OS is no better? Nuke the
VM and you've got all your disk space back with no gymnastics required.
Better app/OS combination for the task? Keep the VM and app and have both
the VM and the base Linux OS, with no reboots required.

I will have to learn more about this. This has peaked my curiosity.
It's been a few years since I was deep into operating systems--I've
been buried in Layer 1 and 2 networks for a while now. I've traveled a
long way down this roadm.

AG Schnozz