Re: [OM] Canon DSLRs and UV lens filters

Subject: Re: [OM] Canon DSLRs and UV lens filters
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 20:58:11 -0500
The point that I'm trying to make is that when comparing images under
normal full-spectrum (flash, etc) light of a calibrated target, the 6D
is in the neighborhood of any other digital camera or film that I've
grown to love through the years.

However, in outdoor conditions--especially "golden hour", I'm seeing a
substantial color curve response that is anything but normal. I
suppose that the closest thing that I can compare it to is Fujichrome
Provia where reciprocity failure affects magenta differently than the
other colors. While I've used Provia's magenta shift to great effect
through the years, and have specifically used it for twilight pictures
because of it, the Canon seems to be applying it during golden hour.

The E-1, E-3 and L1, in direct comparison pictures don't have the same
color shift. If there is any pinkishness to the golden hour light, the
Canon goes nuclear. Some of this can be corrected in Lightroom, but at
the extremes of the dynamic range, the color cast is baked in and you
can't recover it out of the raw files.

This is why I was suspecting that the 6D is a bit more sensitive to UV
than I'm used to. I will try it out with a UV filter to see if
anything happens.

It may sound like I've been non-stop picking on the 6D, and that's not
true. I'm in hog-heaven with it, but have had more than my fair share
of head-scratchers. If there is any one thing that I'm most
appreciative of with the 6D is that when viewing files at 100%, the 6D
doesn't have that same "cellphone look" that the Nikons and Sonys
have.

AG Schnozz