Re: [OM] IMG: Street corner art in Montpellier (Fr) MIKE

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Street corner art in Montpellier (Fr) MIKE
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2016 17:48:32 -0500
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
Philippe writes:

<<<I'm not of what you mean by watercolor effect in landscapes.

Hi Philippe,

If you search watercolor/x-trans I am sure you will find many examples.  ACR/LR
was the  by FAR the worse converter for this effect early on but has improved
(still not the best).
That be said, this is pixel peeping at high mag and does not appear to effect
most modest sized prints (reportedly print very nicely) or most web images.
This issue seems baked into the Xtrans design, though the software evolved
enough to make it less an issue.   Color filter arrays (CFA) have trade offs by
nature. Xtrans designed so the "green" raw channel has more coverage but less
positional symmetry than in a Bayer sensor and as a direct result there are
less high-frequency luminance "miscalculations" in the interpolation, giving
lower noise in raw conversion-(thus placing a premium on performance at high
ISO's over base ISO). The larger B to B and R to R distances necessitate a
larger chroma smoothing radius resulting in "watercolor" effects or artifacts.

Here is one example I had posted in the past:

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5540407/PNmoire.jpg

If one uses a converter to totally avoid this, the trade-off is that you can
get  tiny, red-green speckle artifacts in very high contrast areas,
particularly with specular highlights.

Again all this is now largely a pixel peeper issue and one persons artifact is
another's "organic rendering" when viewed at normal viewing sizes.

Feel free to proceed full speed ahead, ignoring all the above,  Mike