Re: [OM] Telephoto lens tests - R2

Subject: Re: [OM] Telephoto lens tests - R2
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2017 06:27:46 +1300

I know I'm late with this response - but I've been very busy with
family matters.

Moose wrote, in part

I know you use FastStone. Are
you not aware of the ability to view two images side by side - @ 100%?
That should show
you everything that's there.

Now to some meat. I've
taken studio shots from dpreview, Raw and JPEG, E-3 and E-M5 and
superimposed them.

<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/E-3/E-3_E-M5rez.htm>

If you
can't see the difference between the first and last, forget worrying
about how sharp you lenses are.

E-3, JPEG - Notice the red sections of
the flags. On the left, there isn't even a hint of the fold details, and
almost
none on the right.

I wonder if
you could add the E-3, jpeg, processed in Focus Magic. That would make a
very useful and fair comparison, which I think is needed to complete the
set.

It would also be interesting to compare with these the USM
sharpening in faststone, that I use.

Secondly, since I lost my
wonderful if smallish CRT screens in the house fire, I now have a much
larger flat screen.

48 x 28 cm, but I still cannot get all of your
picture within the vertical frame so that I can see the whole image +
your control boxes.. What size image did you start with?

Thirdly. re
your comments that the E-3 has 25% less detail (forget your exact words)
than the E M5. My experience is that in terms of image detail the E-M5
is little better

than the E-3. It has little / no discernable
advantage / improvement.

It IS much more portable however. MUCH
lighter. I had never previously thought that would matter to me, but age
is taking its toll.

Cheers, Brian