TAKO. INTERNET SEIT 1996.
Olympus-OM

Re: [OM] OT: Now What??

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Now What??
From: photo photo <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 16:34:09 +0200 (CEST)
Our IT department confirmed to me that OSX was not in danger in this latest 
scare. Having used Macs exclusively for my personal use since 2006, I can say 
with confidence that while nothing is perfect, OSX is a whole lot safer than 
Windows.

And it has better spell checkers too ;-)

Cheers,
Nathan

> On 18 May 2017 at 16:19 Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 
> 
> > I disagree Chris it was aimed at microsoft in general - most systens
> > affected were running XP as these systems were not patched as it was not
> > available, as Paul says the patch was available for supported windows OSs
> > since march
> 
> Pretty much every XP machine that wasn't protected from the outside
> world was hit. But so were pretty much every WIN7 machine that wasn't
> updated since March.
> 
> As to the idiotic comments of "use Apple instead, everything is
> perfect in that world". Apple just released bug fixes for both
> operating systems that fixed 52 or 53 security flaws that GOOGLE
> found! And, yes, the NSA has Apple hacks too, but Apple did a forced
> update that left you with no option, but to update.
> 
> Yeah, things happen to Apple users too. In fact, as a percentage of
> users, Apple users are more likely to be hit by a Spear Phishing
> attack than Windows users. The attitude of "my Apple is safe,
> therefore, I don't need to worry as much" bites them. And the real
> problem here is that Apple users who are a target of a Spear Phishing
> attack may not even be aware of what happened, because the stolen
> credentials or other information is used for the breach of their
> employers--not them directly.
> 
> Beware of long-term unexpected effects of a "safe" environment...
> 
> It's like automatic transmissions. In the "olden days" you rarely
> heard of an old geezer who mowed down 20 people because he thought he
> was pressing on the brake peddle instead of the gas peddle. With a
> manual transmission, when you need to come to a stop, you do so with
> both the left foot and right foot. If the right foot happens to be on
> the gas peddle instead of the break, a lot less harm because the left
> foot is on the clutch and you just end up coasting. (Now those geezers
> are terrorists doing the same thing on purpose).
> 
> So, a nice, easy, safe, whatever, environment can cause long-term
> issues that may not show up for 30 years.
> 
> Sorry, got to soap-boxing...
> 
> 
> AG
> -- 
> _________________________________________________________________
> Options: http://lists.thomasclausen.net/mailman/listinfo/olympus
> Archives: http://lists.thomasclausen.net/mailman/private/olympus/
> Themed Olympus Photo Exhibition: http://www.tope.nl/
>
-- 
_________________________________________________________________
Options: http://lists.thomasclausen.net/mailman/listinfo/olympus
Archives: http://lists.thomasclausen.net/mailman/private/olympus/
Themed Olympus Photo Exhibition: http://www.tope.nl/

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>