Re: [OM] Third party batteries for OM-D

Subject: Re: [OM] Third party batteries for OM-D
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2017 08:20:59 -0700
> From: Mike Bloor <admin@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Does anyone have experience/recommendations with third party
> batteries for the OM-D range? I need a second battery for my E-M5
> mark II.

I don’t know which batteries the 5.2 takes, but my BLH third-party batteries
for the 1.2 work just fine. They are marked “Powerextra” and are stamped 2000
mAh (the Olys are 1750, I believe). I’ve seen no noticeable difference in
capacity between these and the Oly original, but I’m not sure I’d even notice a
2000/1750 (14%) difference.

I tend to be a battery-conservative shooter, with sleep-time, off-time,
screen-time, and viewfinder-time all set to minimum, and I rarely use the
screen. I think I get 400-800 shots out of a battery.

The “fill in the battery” gauge works fine, but the percentage reading does not
display at all. The “battery info” menu item displays dashes (“--------") for
all parameters. And I periodically have to put up with “Olympus battery
recommended” in the viewfinder. Otherwise, they seem to work dandy.

I got them from Shamazon. They claimed to need their own charger, so I got a
pair with a charger (which I verified), plus an extra pair without, all for
about half the cost of ONE Oly battery. I figured even if they were only 1/4th
as good as the Oly, I was ahead, which is probably the case if they all died
suddenly tomorrow.